Fargesia Nitida 'Jiuzhaigou' (commonly known as the Red Panda Fargesia Bamboo) is a clump-forming dwarf bamboo.
The stems of this bamboo emerge green, turn deep red and mature to yellowish-orange. It is known that the change in colours is a response to the amount of light the stems receive.
Unlike the other Fargesias, Fargesia Nitida 'Jiuzhaigou' requires a good amount of sunlight.
The clump-forming bamboo thrives in moist well-drained soils.
When planted in large pots and containers, the soil must be kept moist and nutrient-rich.
Bamboo Fargesia 'Jiuzhaigou' features
Fargesia nitida 'Jiuzhaigou’ is a hardy bamboo, it grows to an average height of 3 metres and spread 2 metres in clump formation.
- Identification: Fargesia nitida 'Jiuzhaigou', clump-forming bamboo, dwarf bamboo, Red Panda’ Fargesia.
- Culms: emerge green, turn red and age to orange.
- Leaves: dense evergreen foliage.
- Max Height: 2 - 4 metres.
- Spread: 1 - 2 metres, non-invasive, clump forming.
- Winterhardiness: -15 to -20 degrees Celsius.
- Uses: Ideal for pots and containers, or sites where there is direct sunlight.
- Care: prefers direct sunlight, and requires good soil and moisture.
Clump-forming bamboo plants for sale
Also, check out Amazon bamboo suppliers.
Best qualities of Fargesia nitida 'Jiuzhaigou’
Spectacular change in the colour of the culms/stems from emerging green to deep red and aged to yellowish orange.
Grow in south facing gardens as it needs sunlight for the best result.
7 Types of Fargesia Nitida Fountain Bamboos
We featured 7 common types of the Nitida group. A spectacular non-invasive bamboo plant, it will not send its shoots away from the parent plant.
The clumps form a dense upright wall to support the ‘fountain’ foliage.
Fargesia nitida is among the stunning Fargesia bamboos in the UK, owing their names to the appearances of the evergreen fountain-like foliage and coloured stems.
Here are four articles packed with informational guides for bamboo growers.
Click on the links to read about how to propagate bamboo plants.