Fargesia nitida ‘Volcano’, the Red Chinese Fountain bamboo, is a stunning, non-invasive bamboo, its other names are Chinese Fountain Bamboo 'Volcano', Red Fountain Bamboo or Spherical Garden bamboo.
It has a beautiful reddish black stem and brown sheath which forms a beautiful contrast between the dense green leaves.
Best qualities of Red Chinese Fountain bamboo [Fargesia nitida 'Volcano’]
The 'Volcano' can grow to a height of 2 metres, and its clumped base can reach 1.5 to 3 metres wide.
A good choice for pots and containers or can be planted directly into the ground as a screen or hedge.
This clump-forming bamboo is non-invasive and prefers moist soil and full sun or partial shade. Avoid growing the Volcano Bamboo in waterlogged sites and strong winds.
The foliage and edges can be pruned to give a compacted evergreen hedge, beautiful red black stems and non-invasive.
Clump-forming bamboo plants for sale
Here is where to buy the clump-forming bamboo plants online.
We listed some top UK Home and Garden bamboo suppliers like Crocus and YouGarden.
Also, check out Amazon bamboo suppliers.
Fargesia ‘Volcanoe’ Fountain Bamboo features
- Identification: Fargesia nitida ‘Volcano’, Chinese Fountain Bamboo, Red Fountain Bamboo, Spherical Garden bamboo.
- Culms: purply-reddish and black stems, brown sheath.
- Leaves: slender, evergreen dense foliage.
- Mature Height: 1.5 - 2 metres.
- Spread: 1 metre, non-invasive.
- Winterhardiness: - 25 degrees Celsius.
- Uses: standalone plant, pots and containers, screen, roof terrace.
- Site: Part shade to shade
Some bamboo plants with similar features are Fargesia rufa, Fargesia nitida Gansu and Fargesia nitida 'Black Pearl'. Check this list for all the Fargesias.
Types of Fargesia Chinese Fountain Bamboos
We featured 7 common types of the Nitida group. A spectacular non-invasive bamboo plant, it will not send its shoots away from the parent plant.
The clumps form a dense upright wall to support the ‘fountain’ foliage.
Fargesia nitida is among the stunning Fargesia bamboos in the UK, owing their names to the appearances of the evergreen fountain-like foliage and coloured stems.
Benefits of Growing Chinese Fountain Bamboo
The Chinese Fountain Bamboo plants are great for shaded areas. If you have a North-facing garden this group of bamboos will thrive in it.
This exotic Chinese bamboo is also good for screening, creating an evergreen backdrop or growing along an elevated site, but preferably in the shade.
Create an exotic bamboo garden
Here are some articles packed with tips and step-by-step guides for bamboo growers.
- 1. How to propagate bamboos from seeds
- 2. How to propagate bamboos from culm cuttings
- 3. How to propagate bamboos from rhizome cuttings
- 4. Common Fargesia Nitida Group of Bamboo Plants in the UK - Feature
If you find this article helpful, leave a comment and let us know what you think.
And finally, we would appreciate it if you could follow us on our YouTube Channel – Amazing Bamboo Plants.
Post a Comment
Thank you for the comment.